Heel pain doesn't have to disrupt your life. Here at the Woodbridge and Edison, NJ, offices of Dr. Daniel Roche, your foot doctor offers treatments that may relieve your pain and make standing, walking, and running much more comfortable.
When rest doesn't help
Staying off your feet is an excellent strategy when you have heel pain. Unfortunately, sometimes pain lingers even if you've stayed off your foot as much as possible. If your heel isn't getting better despite rest, your pain is severe or worsening, or walking is difficult, it's a good idea to schedule an appointment with your Woodbridge and Edison podiatrist.
How treatment can ease your pain
Heel pain treatment varies depending on the cause of your pain, but they may include:
- Orthotics: Orthotics are shoe inserts that are custom-designed for you by your foot doctor. The inserts cushion and support your foot and absorb shock. Full-length orthotics or heel cups may offer a simple way to ease your pain and can be helpful if your symptoms are caused by a stone bruise, arthritis, plantar fissure, heel spur, Achilles tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, or other conditions.
- Physical Therapy: Therapy can be helpful for conditions ranging from plantar fasciitis to Achilles tendonitis to arthritis. Therapy sessions stretch and strengthen the muscles and tissues in your feet, easing your pain.
- Corticosteroid Injections: When over-the-counter or prescription pain medication cannot relieve your pain, your foot doctor may recommend a corticosteroid injection.
- Night Splints: Night splints may be recommended if you have plantar fasciitis, a condition that occurs due to inflammation in the tough band of tissue that runs along the bottom of your foot. The splints stretch the fascia when you sleep and help reduce pain.
- Ultrasound or Shockwave Therapy: If other treatment methods aren't helpful, ultrasound or extracorporeal shock wave therapy may be recommended. These therapies improve blood flow to the heel and reduce pain and inflammation.
Need relief? Give us a call
Are you suffering from heel pain? Schedule an appointment with Dr. Daniel Roche by dialing (908) 753-0500 for the Edison office, or (732) 636-8500 for the Woodbridge office.