How your foot doctor in Edison and Woodbridge, NJ can help with plantar fasciitis
Foot pain can be annoying and debilitating, keeping you from doing the activities you love. One of the most common causes of foot pain is plantar fasciitis. Plantar fasciitis is caused by the thick band of tissue running across your heel, known as the plantar fascia, becoming inflamed. The inflammation causes swelling, pressure, tightness, and pain.
Fortunately, there are foot treatments to help reduce and eliminate your pain. Dr. Daniel J. Roche at Roche Podiatry Group wants to help you get back on your feet. He has two convenient office locations in Edison and Woodbridge, NJ to help you.
The inflammation of plantar fasciitis is common in runners and joggers, but other common issues can cause plantar fasciitis too. Plantar fasciitis is often caused by excessive pronation or rolling your foot when you walk. You also have a greater risk of plantar fasciitis if you:
- Are at least 40 year old
- Are overweight or obese
- Suffer from flat feet
- Wear flat, unsupportive, or worn-out shoes
So, how can you tell if you have plantar fasciitis? There are a few obvious signs and symptoms to pay attention to, including:
- Pain that gets worse after you wake up
- Pain that increases when you stand after being seated
- Stabbing, aching pain on your heel and the side of your foot
- Increasing pain when you exercise
So, how do you treat plantar fasciitis? You can try a few easy, non-invasive home remedies like these:
- Icing your heel several times each day
- Doing arch stretches every day
- Taking over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medications
- Remember to also try to maintain a healthy weight, and always wear supportive, comfortable shoes. Don’t go barefoot.
If your foot pain doesn’t resolve with home remedies, it’s time to visit Dr. Roche. He offers several effective professional treatments including:
- Custom-fit night splints and other orthotic devices
- Prescription strength anti-inflammatory medication
- Stretching and physical therapy
- Anti-inflammatory steroid injections around your heel
- Extracorporeal shock wave therapy
Plantar fasciitis can be painful, but help is just a phone call away. To find out more about the treatment of plantar fasciitis and other foot problems call Dr. Roche at Roche Podiatry Group, with offices in Edison and Woodbridge, NJ. Call today!