Posts for tag: diabetic foot care
For people with diabetes, even minor foot problems like blisters or ingrown toenails can lead to potentially serious complications. Dr. Daniel Roche, a foot doctor in Edison and Woodbridge, NJ, advises diabetic patients to practice regular self-care and monitoring at home for signs of any problems and to schedule regular appointments for maintenance like safely trimming the toenails.
A condition known as diabetic neuropathy can increase the risk of developing serious infections and complications from otherwise common foot problems. Neuropathy (nerve damage) is common in people with diabetes and affects approximately half of all people with diabetes according to the American Diabetes Association. Poor circulation/blood flow to the feet and nerve damage make diabetics more vulnerable to ulcers and can make it harder for infections and injuries to heal.
Diabetic Footcare Tips and Recommendations
Keeping your feet clean and dry and the toenails neatly trimmed is especially important with diabetes. To avoid ingrown toenails, make sure that the toenails are cut evenly across, and avoid sharp or jagged edges. For best results, schedule an appointment with a foot doctor to make sure your nails are trimmed and cut properly. Other tips to keep your feet healthy include:
- Wash and completely dry your feet every day
- Wear clean socks and comfortable, supportive shoes that fit well
- Avoid going barefoot
- Keep the skin on your feet moisturized (but do not apply lotion between the toes)
- Avoid extremes in temperature, like walking on hot sand or dipping the feet in extremely hot or cold water
- Keep the circulation flowing to your feet by engaging in appropriate physical activity and exercises
- Avoid smoking
- Maintain healthy blood sugar levels
- Let your podiatrist know if you notice any changes or develop ulcers or blisters
For more information on how to care for your feet and lower your risk of infections and diabetes-related complications, contact Dr. Daniel Roche at Roche Podiatry Group with locations in Edison and Woodbridge, NJ. Call (908) 753-0500 to schedule your appointment at the Edison location and (732) 636-8500 to schedule your appointment at the Woodbridge location today!